Monday 24 November 2008

Howdy

This blog is a gateway blog into the glorious world of the Super Furry Animals. (Expecting something else? Maybe you're a Furry fan not a Furries fan...) If you like the Furries, or are intrigued by them then hopefully you'll find something here to fill your Super Furry needs.

Why, why, why?
OK, I've been a fan of SFA since their debut release Llanfairpwllgwyngyllllantysiliogogogoch(In Space) (Doesn't that title just tell you everything you need to know about SFA?) in 1995. Which would mean I've been a fan for 13 years, now. I've no idea where the hell I found out about a little-known Welsh band when I was ten, but there you go. They popped into my life from somewhere, made a nest in my brain and have been making weird noises in there ever since.

But I got a little complacent. It was probably that awkward teen phase where you start getting in to Radiohead because they're "deep". Where you think the whole world's against you. And, well, I became a bit of a fairweather fan. I still bought all their albums, I went to their gigs but I wasn't hungry for them anymore. I don't blame the Furries. Looking back now it was just me and my existential angst. SFA were just too darn fun. They still made great music, but I just didn't pay enough attention.

When I started life in the real world, I loaded up my ipod for the bus journey and all of a sudden, wham! There they were again. Ferreting around in my head. Finding my Radiohead CDs and shredding them up to make a lining for their nest. Settling back into my brainwaves when I'd left 'em out in the cold. Poor little Furries...

So this is my way of an apology. For all the gigs I missed (New Years, London, 2007), for all the singles I didn't buy, for the solo career of Gruff that passed me by. And which I'm now catching up on. God dammit how could I come in late to the Grufftastic party? I missed the screening of Seperado! (when is that film getting a "general" release??), I missed two whole albums. I missed weird and wonderful toy-led gigs. I missed festival appearances. I even just missed seeing Neon Neon live (I think they've just stopped gigging). The more I see and hear of Gruff the more I fall for him. He is just astounding. Imagine what I felt like when I heard he played a gig only 15 miles away from me, last year? And in the arts centre? That would have been such a intimate performance.

Christ, I feel like screaming!

So...
To make sure I don't miss anything SFA-related again I'm dedicating this blog to them. It'll mainly be notes to myself, links to cool images, interviews, tour dates etc. Stuff that I find intriguing (whether Furry related or not). But if you've stumbled across this blog, I hope you'll find something stimulating. If you're not too familiar with SFA then maybe something you find here will turn you on to them (they are, after all, this generation's Beatles... Apparently.)

Cheers
Bame
x

No comments: