Saturday 29 November 2008

Video killed the radio star

Huw Roberts' YouTube channel is probably one of the best resources for SFA videos on YouTube. He's found a lot of great live performances and some quite rare/old interviews and documentaries. Includes some pre-SFA titbits, mainly on Ffa Coffi Pawb (you'd need to be a Welsh speaker to understand all of the Ffa Coffi Pawb vids, though)

For me, however, the stranger the live performance the better. Here's a wonderful video from Dutch programme (Behind) Closed Doors;

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JmYaXXsv_d4

I love how pared down this performance is and it shows the genius of SFA and Gruff Rhys. A lot of people just think of SFA as the slightly potty techno-inspired Welsh band and expect all their music to be mad, fun and turned up to 11. I know some fans, especially in the UK, respond to those kind of songs better than the slower numbers, but I always feel a bit sad when I hear Gruff say that the Furries are going concentrate more on their rockier numbers for future albums and live shows, and this clip just shows how good their songs can be when they are played really simple and lo-fi. My love for this style of their music is probably why I respond so well to Gruff's solo stuff. I'm really intrigued by the DIY sensibilities of his solo live gigs.

Another one in a similar vein, for Other Voices;

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=otAIYvIiJXc

Note: I haven't embedded any of these videos here because if I do, YouTube automatically know you've viewed these vids, even if you don't press play. Which I don't think is very fair, privacy-wise. So, I'd prefer to give you the choice of whether or not you want to view YouTube.

No comments: